Yesterday, a Michigan committee from the Republican-led House passed an abortion bill that could drastically limit the healthcare rights of women. Déjà vu, anyone?
I literally take breaks from writing about all of the GOP-backed legislation against women’s healthcare because there are so many of them. I’m not kidding when I say that I could post a new entry every week on a different bill being written or going under a vote.
What does this spectacular waste of taxpayer money and time contain?
- Criminalize all abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy (no exceptions for rape, severe fetal anomaly or the health of the woman).
- Require health centers that provide abortions to have surgery rooms (even when they do not provide surgical abortions).
- Ban “telemedicine” abortions (such as the morning-after pill).
- Require doctors to be present for medication abortions (which completely contradicts the above provision).
- Screen women for “coercion” before providing an abortion.
Dr. Timothy Johnson, one of only two physicians to testify at the hearing, voiced his concerns that the bill has no exceptions for the health of women and believed the provisions would interfere with the doctor-patient relationship. He also added that women are more likely to be coerced into getting pregnant. Leave it to a doctor to bring common sense to the table.
Considering that Michigan is currently 37th in the nation in unemployment, it seems like there would be much more important issues to be rushing through the state House. How has the Michigan GOP spent their time?
- Passed a bill banning late-term abortion
- Supported legislation making English the official language of Michigan
- Passed a bill for the continued use of older and less efficient light bulbs
- Supported a bill that would prohibit public employees from sending political messages through work e-mails
- Passed Matt’s Safe School Law, AKA the Bullying bill
The Bullying bill gained national attention with its outrageous provision allowing teachers and students to harass others as long as their actions came from a “sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction.”
Democratic Senator Gretchen Whitmer appropriately handed the Michigan GOP their ass.
Apparently you have to be a doctor or have two X chromosomes to explain insanity to the Michigan GOP.
While the Michigan Republican Party attacks female healthcare and plays Big Brother on the internet, the Democrats introduced the Michigan 2020 Plan.
The plan covers the cost of college tuition for ALL Michigan high school graduates and is paid for by eliminating corporate tax loopholes and cost cutting just 5% of existing state contracts.